Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Labor of Love-finale

Tuesday December 19th - Progress!

In a nutshell while on the NST before they placed the 1st dose of cytotec at 9am on tuesday I felt a slight 'leak' (8:30am) but since I had to go to the b-room I didn't think too much of it (those of you who have been pregnant will understand), they placed the 1st dose and then I went back for 1 hour NST during which time I felt multiple 'leaks' I told midwife who had placed it and she said since I would be back for doc to place next dose in 3 hours they would check me then. After walking around etc I didnt have any more leaks but sitting down to lunch before dose #2 I did so I was very hopeful it was my waters but it was still tiny amounts so I was afraid my bladder had abandoned me .

Upon returning to the doc the check showed it was my waters! Hooray we didn't have to go home again the cervix was still at 80% but was anterior now and 3cm dilated. Since L&D was overflowing we had to hang out at docs office another 3 hours until they could clear a room for us, we did 2nd dose and then went for a walk as I was still having no contractions.

We were admitted at 4:30 pm and by 5 ish they had started pitocin since I was still having no contractions (9+hours with waters broken ) they gave super low pitocin which started strong contractions (going from none to too strong NOT recommended ) so they turned it down to super low which was still giving stronger than needed contractions according to them (I had internal monitors place for both babies heart rate and contraction strength—these are HIGHLY uncomfortable). We went that way until midnight at which time I had a cervix check and was 4.5cm--how disappointing! Since being admitted my BP was borderline too high which forced me to lay on my side and I also had the internal monitors placed so I was unable to do all the labor coping stuff we had learned in class like change positions etc. So, I decided to be 'realistic' and get the epidural, about 1/2 hour later when they tried to do epidural I was in transition and was 7cm (didn't know this until afterwards or maybe would have not gotten epi after all, 7cm sounded much better than 4.5!).

Unfortunately my epidural fears were justified as I reacted badly and BP and HR dropped drastically so they had me lay on my back to try and get it up which then sent baby into a drastic heart rate (HR) decell which she did pull out of after they had me get back on my side, my BP and HR recovered as well. The epidural was too strong for me as I was completely numb and couldn’t feel a thing and couldn’t move the left 1/2 my body from laying on that side the medicine settled there more strongly.

We continued labor that way, which did allow me to rest, until about 2:30am when nurse told me that I was having very strong bi-phasic contractions (this is 2 contractions on top of one another with no break in between) which usually meant baby was in a sunny side up position (much harder to give birth this way). She said perhaps laying on my belly could help the baby to shift so she got a beanbag and with a lot of help from Jared and the nurse they finally managed to get me over onto my belly which was surprisingly quiet comfortable after not having laid that way for months. The nurse left and all was good—for about 60 seconds, after which I had Jared RUN out to get the nurse because I started vomiting and getting very light headed, I started to fade out and I couldn’t keep great track of what was going on but when I did look up there was six nurses in room working on me and turning me back over. Still not sure why it happened but I got sick and baby went into massive decell while I was on my belly (Jared later told me her heart rate went from the 180's and dropped into the 50's - how scary). We both recovered again but then doctor came running in – in her slippers with sleep marks on her face, so evidentially we had given them a pretty good scare. Doctor said if we had another ‘episode’ we would have to have emergency c-section but she was recommending we have one right then anyway because for whatever reason baby was not able to cope well with the stresses of the labor and she didn’t think she cold tolerate pushing but wouldn’t know why until they got in there and saw what was wrong. She said it could have been cord wrapped around neck or any other number of issues, I told her I wanted whatever would keep my girl safe (though inside I was scared to death because the last time I had surgery I had massive complications and could have myself died which is also the reason I was petrified of the epidural).

The doctor checked me and I was 9cm, making progress, and almost ready to push so we had to hurry. What a surprise and drastic change of events. They brought Jared in scrubs and he requested some coffee as we went from resting to chaos and expecting a baby VERY soon! While waiting I was already feeling pressure building, luckily epi was so strong I could resist pushing instincts.

When they wheeled me in to prep me for surgery my fear really got to me, Jared couldn’t come in during prep which didn’t help. I started shaking and had to work hard not to hyperventilate even with drugs as I was so scared. When they tested my feeling I kept being able to feel them scratching me etc so they ended up giving me the maximum epidural and then narcotics in my IV. Unfortunately, they did such a good job making sure I wouldn’t feel pain I actually couldn’t move my arms or see straight and was only ½ awake for the birth. Jared said I kept telling them DO NOT put me to sleep I want to see my girl! I had to ask Jared what color hair etc as I was unable to focus my eyes.

The c-section went well with no complications. We ended up finding out that she was turned so her head was shoved into her shoulder and the side of her head was trying to come out instead of the bottom and my placenta was starting to get calcifications (also called ‘old’ placenta common in diabetics) which made it hard for her to cope with labor stresses.

Even the epidural didn't stop me from crying my eyes out as I was so elated, finally I got to meet her after we waited for her for so long. She was born Wednesday December 20th at 3:34am. She weighed 6lbs 7.8oz and was 20.5 inches long. She had a more than full head of dark brown hair and dark brown/blue mixed eyes.

No comments: