I read a cute craft to make home made bird feeders for our little friends (that seem to be invading our hous this year). You use pine cones, coat them in peanut butter and roll them in bird seed. This sounded like an easy fun thing for Lillian to do and she could hang them by the bird house that I reconditioned after bringing it back from my grandparents property up north. The bird house reminds me of my grandfather since he made it.
I explained to her how the birdies would eat them and we hung them at the top of our 6ft privacy fence right around the bird feeder. Luckily she forgot about them because much to my dismay two days later all that remained on the fence was red shreds of ribbon and no signs of the pine cones. Both of our dogs love peanut butter and one of them used to be able to jump really high----I guess she remembered how! So much for feeding the birds.
As for the invasion. I have a bird that must be really really slow because for the past two years it has tried to build its nest in the top corner of our front porch, there is not enough room there and so I keep getting mud and debris all over my porch and swing every couple days as the stuff falls down. I try everyting to keep that bird away and it only works for a short period of time. I finally hung a wind sock there right by the corner adn it worked for all of about 2 weeks now there is stuff there again.
Well it must have been late in the season for this poor bird not to have a nest because now she has roosted herself on the ledges of our upstairs office window under the air conditioner. I finally figured out what was going on yesterday because guess what---there are babies and they are LOUD!! On top of the loudness the bird hits the bottom of the A/C occasionally when coming in for a landing. After a half hour of constat chirp chirp chirp I went over to investigate, knocked on the AC and sure enough out the mom flew to a nearby branch and I imagine she was giving me the equivalent of a bird scowl as she stared me down only to return a few minutes later.
I have also seen her flying around the AC in the downstairs window---I am pretty sure this is the same 'not smart bird' so maybe she gets confused on where her birds are? I dont know but up until the past couple days I was thrilled when I heard birds chirping now I just hope they hurry up and grow up and fly off as the chirping is CONSTANT! And of course Lillian just wants to 'see' and the dogs are sniffing non-stop all around the A/C--its not enough they had their 'snacks' now I think they are more interested in the birds themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment