Sunday, January 23, 2011

Grammar Lesson for the Day

Grammar lesson for the day: 

I can NEVER remember the difference between effect and affect so this lesson comes from 'grammar girl blog' and google. I'm not saying I'm going to use it correctly from here on out but at least I made an effort to learn today! 

affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun.

So a very easy noun will help you remember that affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun, 

"The arrows affected Aardvark. (all a words) The effect was eye-popping." (all e words)


Examples 

1. If you are talking about a result, then use the word "effect."
  • Example: What effect did the loss have on the team?
3. If you want to describe something that was caused or brought about, the right word to use is effect.
  • Example: The new manager effected some positive changes in the office. (This means that the new manager caused some positive changes to take place in the office.)
4. Affect can be used as a noun to describe facial expression.
  • Example: The woman took the news of her husband's sudden death with little affect.
5. Affect can also be used as a verb. Use it when trying to describe influencing someone or something rather than causing it.
  • Example: The weather conditions will affect the number of people who come to the county fair this year.

No comments: