Wednesday, April 19, 2006

OHSS continues

Well, today is day # 6 of OHSS, things are not really improving for me. I started taking a medician yesterday which should help with the complication of acid reflux I have been having extremely bad and is part of what is preventing me from eating solid foods. I have had to start drinking ensure shakes to get some nutrition, have to love being reduced to the diet of an 80 year old! I am losing weight during pregnancy ! -- but the fluid is packing into the ole abdomen and ovaries to make up for it so I still look 3-4 months pregnant! Right now we are in a holding pattern and I continue to check in with my doctor day by day.

I will have to fill out a short term disability claim through my work today. Luckily, my work has been very great and flexible with all of this and I get paid for the time off and it is covered under FMLA. Unfortunately you get 12 weeks FMLA a rolling calendar year meaning my maternity leave will not be all covered under FMLA. I will still get to take the same amount of time off but I won't be guaranteed my job back, I will however be guaranteed A job back so I am not too concerned. As it stands now, when I go back to work I will not be doing my normal job anyway. My doctors and I agree that the laboratory is a dangerous place for a pregnant women, no telling how much chemical is safe exposure limit for a fetus so I will be taking a desk job for the remainer of my pregnancy. At this time I have no idea what I will be doing but it sounds like I will remain under my manager thankfully as he has been extremely accomodating and understanding. My only fear is that I am starting a trend here and now that other pregnant women realize they have a choice the management is going to be looking at me like the ring leader! On one hand I hope that other pregnant women talk with there doctors as I dont' feel the lab is at all safe for pregnant women but on the other hand I am afraid of being a 'trouble maker' even just on my own case. Oh, well, I have new priorities now and it is whatever is best for this child(ren).

No comments: