Wednesday, April 19, 2006

OHSS (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome)

I had scheduled vacation wednesday to allow whatever news we received to settle in. Boy am I glad I did. Wednesday morning I was uncomfortable but my IVF coordinator was out of the office so I said I would call her the next day, by the afternoon was in distress and called the main clinic in Grand Rapids. It felt as though someone had lifted my ribs and stuck a basketball under them, I was having stomach pains, not to mention I could not eat anything without more intense pain and a very hot acidy feeling in my stomach. My stomach was all puffy and distended and I had severe nausea. The clinician diagnosed me with Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome (OHSS) which is supposed to only happen in about 1% of cases. Well when I had surgery for my gallbladder 3 years ago I suffered from severe internal bleeding which is also supposedly a 1% chance of happening so I guess I am either the world's luckiest person or a glutton for punishment!

The next day, thursday, I went to the hospital and they ran a complete bloodwork on me to get baseline levels of kidney function blood levels etc as moderate to severe cases can reak havoc on your system. All checked out fine and as mentioned the pregnancy level was looking great.

I was taken off of work due to the OHSS and have to do bedrest, fluids restricted to 4 glasses (32oz) a day -- those of you who know me realize how serious this is for me of all people, I normally consume at least 15 glasses of all water! Now I could not even drink water, I had to drink everything with electrolytes like gatorade, propel water etc. I have to weigh myself 2x daily, measure my abdomen, and report in to the IVF coordinator daily. At this time I was thinking it would be over with soon!

In some sadistic way I am thrilled with the OHSS because this generally happens when you have had a really successful cycle meaning ... .... .. A) you were a high responder to the meds and they retrieved many eggs (I had 25) B) your estrogen level gets above 4000 (mine was 3600 2 days before retrieval) C) your pregnancy hormones are on the rise!

No comments: