So at my first peri appt I mentioned that she had me go for a one hour glucose tolerance test. This means that they take your blood to test it's sugar level when you get there then they have you drink what is pretty much like a really sugar laden pop and wait an hour to take your blood sugar again. Most of you know I don't drink pop, or pretty much anything except water so for me the solution tastes like flat syrupy pop and is extremely disgusting. Well I took my blood sugar on my meter after the one hour and it was in the 170's and I knew that was failing before I even got the official word.
The next day the doctor's office called to say I had failed and I scheduled a 3 hour glucose tolerance test -- these ones are awful and I normally take one every year anyway. Each year I trend a little closer to diabetic so with the pregnancy which impairs your bodies ability to use insulin I was sure I would fail this too. For the 3 hour you go in after fasting for 12 hours so my blood sugar was very low and I was very ill. Then you drink another sugary solution--twice as much sugar so twice as awful and you get your blood before then at 1, 2, and 3 hours. By the time I was to leave my blood sugar was so low I had to drink some apple juice before I could even walk to the cafeteria to get something to eat. For me what happens is at 1 hour my blood sugar will be high and on the rise but by 2 hours my body starts responding to it and since it waited so long it dumps a ton of insulin which my body reacts to and then by 3 hours my blood sugar is super low. So in essence my body does a delayed reaction followed by over correction.
So between my appointments for the test and while waiting for my next peri appointment I started journaling what I have eaten and the blood sugars before and after. I have found that I am able to control my blood sugar and keep it nice and low by only eating around 25 carbs at a sitting and only with some other protein/fat. I will meet with the dietician and the peri soon.
I knew I would have trouble with gestational diabetes but I was hoping it would take a bit longer before it happened, most women develop problems around 24-28 weeks. So much for enjoying any cravings during pregnancy! I am at the point where I look up each food I eat and how many carbs it has and count them all up, no candy, no ice cream, no nothing! I can do it standing on my head if it means a healthy baby though.
___________________________________________________________________
Symptom Update: I am hoping that getting my blood sugars under tight control can help my headaches/migraines, I am still having them since about 10.5 weeks and they are getting more frequent and severe. We are on about 2-3 weeks of constant headaches now and I am finding it hard to even want to eat. I have also missed some work because my head is so bad I have left work early one day and missed one day completely.
No comments:
Post a Comment